You have got lots of choices in thermostats, especially when the product is for your living room or a general purpose room. But when it comes to choosing a baseboard heater thermostat, you don’t have lots of choices available at hand. One primary reason is the high-end models in thermostats do not support baseboard usage. Most of the high-end thermostat models are incompatible to be used as a baseboard heater thermostat. So what do you do? There are thermostats specially designed to be used as baseboard heater thermostats. And we are reviewing the best models out there in the market here.
The primary reason to buy and install a thermostat in your home is to cut down energy bills and save money. In fact, investing in the right thermostat is the best way to save energy bills. The money invested in a thermostat will be regained within a few months of installation. Before getting to the reviews section lets first see how to choose the right baseboard heater thermostat for your home.
Criteria to Choose the right Baseboard Heater Thermostat
Line Voltage or Low Voltage – A line voltage system uses direct line voltage unlike the newer models (which uses a low voltage like 24 volts). Line voltage type thermostats are used in older homes and constructions especially with the baseboard heaters and electric heaters. The power wires are thicker and they run on 120 volts or 240 volts.
Single Pole or Double Pole – A single pole thermostat connects to the electric mains via 2 wires. You can not shut the power to a single pole thermostat. As an alternative method (to shut power), you can set a very low temperature in the thermostat setting to prevent heat coming up to the room. Double pole thermostat connects to the electric mains via 4 wires. It is possible to shut power to the double pole thermostat system at any desired time. So double pole has an advantage over single pole.
Mechanical or Electronic – A mechanical thermostat operates with two bonded metals which bend as temperature changes. The switche will turn ON/OFF as the bonded metal bends towards it. Mechanical thermostats lack efficiency and they waste a lot of energy compared to electronic models. The only advantage of mechanical thermostat is its low price. Electronic thermostats come with high precision temperature sensors and fast switching. They sense room temperature and turn ON/OFF the system accordingly. Electronic models are highly effeicient and they save energy. The higher price you pay for an electronic model can be regained within a few months of installation.
Programmable or Non-Programmable – The primary difference between the two is that a programmable model can be programmed for 7 days in different combinations like 5-2, 2-2-1, 7 etc. Programmable thermostats adjust itself according to the program. For example, some models have “vacation mode” and if this mode is set, the thermostat will adjust itself and save a lot of energy bills (in vacation mode they work only minimal time preventing freeze). Nonprogrammable models come at a lesser price but they dont have programming capabilities.
Reviews – Top 7 Baseboard Heater Thermostat Models
Let’s begin the detailed review of baseboard heater thermostat models out there in the market. We have shortlisted the 7 top and best baseboard heater thermostat models based on user reviews and product features.
- Honeywell TL8230A1003
- Honeywell Manual Electric Baseboard Thermostat
- Honeywell RLV4305A1000/E 5
- Honeywell RLV3120A1005/H
- Honeywell RLV3100A
- Honeywell TL7235A1003
- Honeywell T410A1013
1. Honeywell TL8230A1003 Thermostat Electric Heat Digital 7 day programmable Thermostat
This Honeywell thermostat is unbelievably easy to program and is provided with icons that correspond to varied functions such as night mode, comfort mode, manual, away/vacation and the like. Besides, the thermostat is very easy to use and you can get to know how to use every function in very less time. You don’t even have to read the instruction completely. Most functions and buttons are self-explanatory.
These thermostats are connected to the heating unit power supply and therefore there aren’t any batteries to change. The best part of these model thermostats is their ability to program four different times for each day of the week. They do come pre-programmed, but re-programming is entirely customizable. Also, the thermostat has an On/Off switch that enables you to turn them off whenever you don’t need time settings to come on. Besides, the ‘manual function’ lets you to fully override the programmed setting and maximize or minimize the temperature as you wish.
Another favorable feature is that the device is really quiet when you switch on and off in timed modes. It also has a back lighting feature that is accessible by a long bar-type button present on the face of the unit; it is ideal for checking temperatures in the dark. Each setting button is made of non-slip rubber so that your fingers will not slide off accidentally during programming. However, the buttons are quite small and there is no back lighting for the buttons as well. One word of caution for the users is that you should be very careful not to press the ‘clear’ button unless you really want to clear a setting. As this button is not in a separate area of the unit, you might accidentally press it and clear any of the programmed times.
This device is also a great energy saver; the heating and cooling systems work only when and where you need. Besides, the cost is also nominal at $53.80.
- The device is small and sleek.
- It is easy and quick to install by yourself or any licensed technician.
- The presence of easy-to-understand self explanatory icons is a big plus.
- The decent ‘green-glow’ backlight helps one read the display clearly.
- Completely customizable programming is a big advantage.
- The device is extremely quiet.
- On/off switch is a good option.
- You need not replace batteries at any point of time.
- No battery backup.
- Programming buttons are very small and not backlit.
- Clear button is not provided in a separate area of the unit.
- When there is a power outage, the whole programming should be redone which is a minor inconvenience.
2. Honeywell Manual Electric Baseboard Thermostat
The Honeywell Manual Electric Baseboard Thermostat is very easy to install and works on all 4-wire (double pole) electric heat applications, that is, baseboard or line volt and enables simple and hassle-free operation. The device has a simple dial-type mechanical control. Besides, it is UL and CSA listed for safety.
This baseboard heater thermostat is a standard model and can be used for baseboards and convectors of 120 to 240 V. It is a non-programmable thermostat that is easy to use. There is a bi-metal temperature sensor provided. The gadget is compatible with baseboards and convectors. It can control up to about 5280 Watts. It features positive off option. Moreover, the device is completely Mercury-free.
- This Honeywell model is easy to use and easy to install.
- It comes in a very affordable price of $15.99.
- It is said that the device is not very accurate at low temperature setting.
3. Honeywell RLV4305A1000/E 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heaters
Honeywell RLV4305A 5-2 Day Digital Programmable Thermostat is exclusively designed for electric baseboard heating. It is now available with a white backlit screen. You can program two types of settings, one setting for the weekdays and one setting for the weekend. Besides, it features four programmable periods in a day: morning, day, evening and night. The TRIAC silent switching option enables precise temperature control of +/-0.5°F. The thermostat can be used with electric baseboards (120 to 240V), convectors as well as to wire radiant ceilings. It is compatible with fan forced heaters.
Customized temperature control saves a lot of energy and thus brings down your energy bills remarkably. The two-wire installation is pretty fast and easy as well.
- The features are user-friendly.
- Programming is easy.
- The device is relatively inexpensive, hitting you at the cost of $49.45.
- Above all, Honeywell tech support team is generally easy to reach.
- The size is an issue for a few people. It is quite bigger compared to other thermostats of similar efficiency.
- The device is not very durable.
Note: – If you are interested in other digital thermostat models, read our article on the Best Digital Thermostat Reviews.
4. Honeywell RLV3120A1005/H Digital Non-Programmable Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heating
This digital non-programmable thermostat meant for electric baseboard heating from Honeywell is easy to install as well as use so as to gain control over your home temperature. The TRIAC switching allows accurate temperature control of +/- 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit. The device operates quietly without any kind of irritating clicking noise. This Honeywell model is compatible with electric baseboards of 120-240 volt, convectors and radiant ceilings. The thermostat sports an LCD display and an on-screen heating command indicator.
You would like the way this thermostat adjusts power usage by not passing over the full power to the heater. Besides, it has five vertical bars that indicate the following: 5 – 100%; 4 – 80%; 3 – 60%; 2 – 40%; 1 – 20% and 0 – Off. Also, the gadget is very much energy efficient. The price of the device is very reasonable at $29.39.
The only drawback is that the wiring is small gauge/diameter and so has restrictions on how many watts/baseboard heaters it can control.Check Price
5. Honeywell RLV3100A Non-Programmable Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heaters
Honeywell RLV3100A is a non-programmable in-line Voltage control Baseboard Thermostat. This model is pretty easy to install and use. Comes equipped with a backlit screen so that the user can easily see the temperature readings even in dark lights.Precise temperature control in Fahrenheit and Celsius by TRIAC silent switch. This model is compatible with 240V heat, convectors, 2-wired radiant ceilings and perhaps doesn’t support heaters that are fan forced. This Electronic Thermostat has high capacity of almost 3000W at 240V AC Voltage.
The great simplicity of this Honeywell model, when combined with its Electrical features, make a perfect choice to save your Electricity bills and the money which would otherwise be spent on paying high Electricity bills. The size of this RLV3100A is W X D X H 4.8 x 1.2 x 5 inches. This Compact design can easily fit anywhere in any of your room. This Honeywell model comes with a limited warranty of 1 year. You can easily verify the settings of this unit with your home heating and cooling system and then install the unit without any hassle.
- Easy Installation procedure doesn’t require any Installation Manual study
- Attractive design easily catches the customer’s eye at the first glance.
- Reduces Electricity bill to a considerable amount.
- Simple to use device has no complicated operating procedures.
- Has been certified as an Energy saving Thermostat.
- No batteries required for its operations so the model is maintenance-free.
- Backlight feature execution once in a while and not all the time.
- Limited temperature swings of 3 degrees.
- Not compatible with heaters working with fan
- Only two wires are provided for the connection which makes it difficult for the user to understand which wire should be connected with the other equipment.
6. Honeywell TL7235A1003 Line Volt Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat with Electronic Temperature Control, 240-Volt
Honeywell TL7235A1003 is a Line Voltage control non-programmable Thermostat unit with digital support. This system controls resistive loads at 208/240 V AC Voltage. Used for controlling products like radiant ceiling heat, convectors, radiant floor heat, and fan forced heaters. Some of the usage instructions are provided in the Instruction Manual and if any person follows our Instruction, then believe us approximately 10% on an annually heating cost can be saved on the electricity bills. However, the saving percentage may differ from region to region and the amount of usage of this unit. It has been seen that Digital Non-programmable unit at temperature precision of 1 ºF can save approx.10% on your heating bills. Its large and clear display screen with back lit is easy to read the temperature reading even in dark or no light condition.
Soundproof and quiet operation reduces unwanted noise which irritated most of the consumers while using conventional thermostats. This model comes with an On/Off switch that allows the user to turn on/off the thermostat settings when according to the season like the settings can be turned off at the end of the summer season. This feature is unique to this model. Heating Indicator clearly indicates whether the heat is on or not. The unit doesn’t not require any battery and so no Maintenance is required.
The size of this unit is not so big H X W X D 4-7/8in x 2-3/4in x 7/8 in. The premier white color gives your home a rich and elegant look.
- Easy to install. You don’t need to buy any extra item for installation.
- Precise and modern-designed keeping latest trends in view.
- ON/OFF switch provided to turn on/off the unit in the case of off season.
- Reduces your electricity bill
- The unit comes with a limited warranty of 5 years so buy this unit once and relax for at least 5 years.
- Heat level indicator and the duty cycle are sometimes weird to understand.
- When the temperature is set and no heating icon is available then many times, baseboard till pumps out the heat.
7. Honeywell T410A1013 Electric Baseboard Heat Thermostat
Honeywell T410A1013 is the Economy model of Honeywell Baseboard thermostats series and provides the smooth line-voltage control of the Electrical heating equipment. When the temperature falls, Snap-action switch SPST creates a heating circuit. This model has virtually replaced the .T410A two-wire and T410B four-wire wall mounted thermostats models. It is perhaps easy to install and comes with a flexible 6-inches long Leads with different colorcodes for proper electrical connections to aluminum wires that are CO/ALR approved. This Honeywell model is robust in construction and plastic base for mounting. Its single piece covers with vents do not allow it to overheat. This T410A1013 model is considered best for new appliances used in the construction field.
This model can be used in resistive rated electrical equipment’s like convectors etc and you can easily mount it in the vertical direction. Its white color is awesome and gives you home a classy home. The Size of the unit is compact 4 1/2inch x 2 3/4inch x 2 ¼ inch or 115mm x 70mm x57 mm. Compatible with Voltage ranges 120 / 208 / 240 / 277 VAC
- This model is a true value for money product.
- Installation is quite easy.
- You don’t need to go through Instruction manual to understand how this easy model operates.
- This model has been approved under Canadian Standards Association File No. LR1322
- This model is only SPST and does not support DPST.
Here in thermostatguide, we have reviewed the best collection of touchscreen thermostats.Read our detailed review.
Video – How to Install a Baseboard Heater Thermostat
Which thermostat makes the best choice?
If you are looking for the best baseboard heater thermostat with comprehensive features, HONEYWELL TL8230A1003 Thermostat Electric Heat Digital 7 day programmable Thermostat should be the best pick. On the other hand, if you need limited features with efficient energy saving capabilities as well as a budget-friendly option, Honeywell Manual Electric Baseboard Thermostat is the ideal choice. If you are keen on programmable baseboard heater thermostats, you can choose between Honeywell RLV4305A1000/E 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat and HONEYWELL TL8230A1003 Thermostat Electric Heat Digital 7 day programmable Thermostat; however, the former one is a comparatively cheaper option. And not to forget, you get what you pay for. So, ultimately, the HONEYWELL TL8230A1003 model is a clear winner.